Pakistan Business Council Dubai
The Pakistan Business Council (PBC) – Dubai had come into existence during April 2004, under the patronage of Dubai Chamber of Commerce and Industries.
Who We Are
This is a large group of Pakistan Businessmen/Investors based in the UAE dedicated to promoting development of Commerce and Investments between the two brotherly countries. PBC currently has 200+ members representing companies in various diverse sectors like Automobiles, Machinery, Business machines, Insurance and Finance, Education, Real Estate Development, Print/Electronic Media, Digital advertising and others.
The Council is managed by an Executive committee consisting of seven directors popularly elected by its regular members. The committee meets regularly to review various aspects of its ongoing initiatives. Sub-committees are formed which also meet regularly to ensure that adequate focus is given to important issues effecting majority of council membership.
The Council facilitates direct interaction with the dignitaries in the Public and Private sectors of the UAE, Pakistan and other countries through its Guest Speakers Program, Seminars and Events, all of which are aimed at sustaining an ongoing dialogue. Towards this end, the Council is privileged to have hosted local and foreign personalities of eminence thus greatly benefitting from their experiences and expertise.
The Pakistan Business Council of Dubai was established on 30th of April 2004, under the patronage of the Dubai Chamber of Commerce and Industries, with the objectives of promoting the development of commerce and investment between the UAE and Pakistan. At present the Pakistan Business Council of Dubai has 350 registered members comprising of active Pakistani Businessmen and companies from various Industry sectors in UAE. ,
Designation : President
Designation : Vice President
Designation : Vice President
Designation : Vice President
ISKANDER SULTAN KHWAJA
Designation : Director
Designation : Director
Designation : Director
Ms. ELLANIE VILLENA
Designation : Office Manager of Pakistan Bussiness Councel.
NAME & OFFICE
There shall be established in Dubai an organization known as Pakistan Business Council, city of Dubai. The council shall function under the umbrella of Dubai Chamber of Commerce & Industry.
The Council is a non-for-profit voluntary association of individuals and companies whose objectives are: To promote the development of commerce and investment between the United Arab Emirates and Pakistan. To be direct liaison with Dubai Chamber of Commerce, various Chambers of Commerce of Pakistan and other chambers of commerce and business organizations worldwide, and to express the views of the local Pakistan business community to public and private interests in Pakistan. To provide a forum in which Pakistani business executives in Dubai and elsewhere in the United Arab Emirates and business executives with Pakistani interests may identify, discuss and pursue commercial common interests regarding their activities. To work with individuals and organizations in Dubai and other Emirates on commercial matters of mutual interest. To heighten awareness of Dubai's commercial position in the Middle East among the Pakistan business community. The Council may do all lawful things which may be incidental or conducive to the attainment of the foregoing objectives. The Council shall not attempt to restrict or in any manner interfere with any lawful activity undertaken by any member in Dubai and in other Emirates. The Council shall not engage in any political activity in the United Arab Emirates nor allow its funds or facilities to be used for political purposes in the U.A.E.
SECTION A. Categories of Membership
1. Dubai based Pakistani Corporate Business Membership [Category A]
Membership in this category shall be open to Pakistani businesses registered in Dubai, either independently or in affiliation with a U.A.E. national or with a U.A.E. corporate body.
2. Dubai based Pakistani ProfessionalsMembership [Category B]
Membership in this category shall be open to all professionals who are working in Dubai, except individuals who would qualify as the representative of Dubai based Pakistani Corporate Member.
3. U.A.E. Business Membership [Category C]
Membership in this category shall be open to all businesses and companies with a presence in Dubai and/or in other Emirates and which carry on, as a major business, an agency, distributorship, franchise or other representation for a Pakistani business, or a joint venture or management contract with a Pakistani business, or a business which is managed or operated substantially by Pakistani professionals.
4. Non-Resident Membership [Category D]
Membership in this category shall to be open to companies and individuals who do not have a presence in Dubai or in other emirates, but have a significant business interest in Dubai and/or in other emirates. Membership in this category shall be honorary members and shall be selected by invitation by the Administrative Board and have the majority of the board.
5. U.A.E. National Membership [Category E]
Membership in this category shall be open to individual businessmen of the United Arab Emirates nationality having an interest in the U.A.E./Pakistan commercial relations who are recommended by a Business Member or an Individual member.
6. Executive Membership [Category F]
Membership in this category shall be open to executives of Dubai based Pakistani businesses or companies, U.A.E. Business Members and Non-Resident Members, other than resident chief executive officers, who are nominated by their respective member company employers.
7. Ex-Officio Membership [Category G]
Membership in this category shall be offered to the U.A.E. and Pakistani Government and Chamber of Commerce officials occupying such positions as are designated by the Administrative Board and specified in the By-Laws.
SECTION B. Determination of Membership
- The acceptability of any application of membership, or for change in classification of membership, shall be determined by the Administrative Board. The By-Laws may establish guidelines for determining standards of membership so long as such guidelines are not inconsistent with this clause. In the event of a change in the definition of a category of membership, or the creation of a new category of membership set forth in this Clause, the Administrative Board may authorize any then current member to retain its then current classification for the current and subsequent terms of membership.
- Applications for membership shall contain the name, address, and business activity and/or occupation of the applicant, and such other information as may be requested by the Administrative Board.
- Membership shall be for one year, subject to renewal, expects that the Administrative Board may provide for a partial year membership for new members with all the rights and benefits of full year membership.
- The Administrative Board shall determine and specify in the By-Laws the membership fees applicable to each category of membership, and may establish one or more subcategories of membership and fees within each category.
SECTION C. Right to Vote
The following amendments are made in the Article of Association:
Clause III. Membership Section C. Right to Vote:
Only category ‘A’ members shall have the right to vote who have had paid membership fees of Pakistan Business Council, Dubai for two years or shall pay advance membership fee for two years.
- Only Category A members shall have the right to vote. Each Category A members is entitled to ONE VOTE. Other categories of members shall not be entitled to vote.
- Each Dubai based Pakistani Corporate Member [Category A] shall nominate its chief executive officer residing in Dubai and/or in other Emirates to be its representative in the Council. Members of other categories may nominate a representative of their choice.
SECTION D. Privilege to Hold Office
Any voting member or his representative as stated in Section C sub clause 2 may hold elective office in the Council.
MEETING OF THE COUNCIL
SECTION A. Annual General Meeting
- 1. An Annual General Meeting shall be held in the month of March every year. Written notice of such meetings shall be given to the membership at least one month before each Annual General Meeting. The first annual meeting shall be held within 90 days from the date this Article of Association and by-laws are adopted with the consent of Dubai Chamber of Commerce.
- The following business shall be conducted at the Annual General Meeting:
a. Report of the Administrative Board;
b. Report of the previous year's accounts;
c. Other matters which are properly placed on the agenda.
SECTION B. General Meetings
- There shall be at least four General Meetings each year. No more than 4 months shall pass without a General Meeting.
- Notice of all General Meetings must be given to the membership at least two weeks before each meeting.
- Any member who wishes to place an item on the agenda of a General Meeting may do so provided he or she gives notice in writing to the President at least one week before the meeting.
SECTION C. Quorum and Voting
- The quorum for the Annual General Meeting and all General Meetings shall be sixty percent [60%] of the voting membership of the Council. A quorum shall be required al all times during meetings if official actions are taken.
- In the event of there being no quorum present at any Annual General Meeting or General Meeting, the meeting shall be adjourned to the following month at a place, date and time to be appointed. Notice of such meeting and a copy of the agenda shall be sent to all members at least two weeks before the rescheduled meeting.
- Should the number then present be insufficient to form a quorum, those present shall be considered a quorum, but they shall have no power to alter, amend or make additions to any proposed resolution appearing on the agenda of the adjourned Annual General Meeting or General Meeting or to make amendments to the Article of Association or by-laws or to appoint and/or terminate any officer or director or to terminate membership of any members.
- Voting shall be by simple majority of all votes cast unless otherwise specifically stated in this Article of Association.
SECTION A. Designation of Officers
The officers of the Council and their nationalities and membership categories shall be the following:
- President: A Pakistan national and Category A member or his nominated executive in accordance with sub clause 2 of Section C of Clause III
- Executive Vice President: A Pakistan national and Category A member or his nominated executive in accordance with sub clause 2 of Section C of Clause III
- Vice President, Membership: A Pakistan national and Category A member or his nominated executive in accordance with sub clause 2 of Section C of Clause III
- Vice President, Program: A Pakistan national and Category A member or his nominated executive in accordance with sub clause 2 of Section C of Clause III
- Vice President, Legal Affairs & Secretary: A Pakistan national and Category A member or his nominated executive in accordance with sub clause 2 of Section C of Clause III
- Vice President, Financial Affairs & Treasurer: A Pakistan national and Category A member or his nominated executive in accordance with sub clause 2 of Section C of Clause III
SECTION B. Duties of Officers
- The President shall exercise general supervision over the affairs of the Council and shall represent the Council in external relations. The President shall preside over all meetings of the Council and the Administrative Board and shall be responsible for implementing the decisions of the Administrative Board.
- The Executive Vice President shall perform the duties and responsibilities assigned by the President or the Administrative Board, and shall preside over meetings in the absence of the President.
- The Vice President, Membership shall be responsible for membership development and membership services, and shall perform other duties and responsibilities assigned by the President or the Administrative Board.
- The Vice President, Programs shall be responsible for the programs of meetings and events of the Council and shall perform other duties and responsibilities assigned by the President or the Administrative Board.
- The Vice President, Legal Affairs and Secretary shall be responsible for all documents and records of the Council and all relationships with legal counsel or legal consultants, and shall perform other duties and responsibilities assigned by the President or the Administrative Board.
- The Vice President, Financial Affairs and Treasurer shall be responsible for all financial receipts, disbursements, accounts, financial records and reports, and shall perform other duties and responsibilities assigned by the President or the Administrative Board.
SECTION C. Designation of Administrative Board
- The Administrative Board consisting of seven Board of Directors elected by Category [A] members. Elections of the Administrative Board shall take place once every three years. First elections of the Administrative Board will take place under the supervision of Dubai Chamber of Commerce and Industry [DCCI].
- The Administrative Board will elect among them a President and will appoint 5 other officers as stated in Section A of Clause V who may not necessarily be the members of the Administrative Board. These officers shall be elected for a period of three years.
SECTION D. Nominations
- Nomination papers for the Administrative Board shall be signed by 2 members of Category A.
- The candidate will not sign his own nomination papers.
SECTION E. Term and vacancies
The following amendments are made in the Article of Association:
Clause V, Section E. Terms and Vacancies:
- The term of appointment of Administrative Board and Office Bearers shall be two years instead of three years. This will give a chance to more people to participate in the activities of the council.
Office bearers shall not hold the same office for more than one term continuously
- Vacancies in any offices or elective positions on the Administrative Board shall be filled by the Administrative Board. The Board shall determine when a vacancy exists and shall fill every vacancy within four months.
SECTION A. Duties
The Administrative Board shall set the policies for the day-to-day operations of the Council, reflecting the objectives of the membership expressed at General Meetings, and shall make all decisions on matters affecting the Council when the General Meeting is not sitting, subject to other provisions of this Article of Association.
SECTION B. Meetings
- The Administrative Board shall meet at least once before each General Meeting.
- The quorum for all meetings of the Administrative Board shall be a simple majority and all actions shall be taken by a simple majority vote of those present, unless otherwise provided in the By-Laws of the Council.
- The Administrative Board shall establish rules of procedure which shall be stated in the By-Laws of the Council.
SECTION C. Remuneration
Elected Directors including the President elected by the Administrative Board shall work for Pakistan Business Council on an honorary basis. No compensation for the time shall be paid to any elected representative of Pakistan Business Council. Out of pocket expenses e.g. travel, boarding and lodging etc. and any other out of pocket costs incurred by any elected representative shall be reimbursed to him/her after the approval by simple majority of the Administrative Board. All these expenses shall be further approved in the next Annual General Meeting along with the approval of the audited financial statements of that year.
At the first meeting of the Administrative Board following each Annual General Meeting, the Administrative Board shall appoint a firm or individual Chartered Accountant licensed to carry out the audit by the Department of Economic Development, Government of Dubai. The Auditor shall audit, all accounts of the Council and shall present a report to the next Annual General Meeting. The President or the Administrative Board may require the Auditor to audit the Council accounts for any period, at any time, and make a report to the Administrative Board. The Administrative Board will present audited accounts to the members at the Annual General Meeting for their approval. These audited accounts shall be approved by Category A members by simple majority.
FORMATION OF THE COUNCIL
- The Council shall be formed by the ratification of the Article of Association by Dubai Chamber of Commerce.
- Upon the adoption of the Article of Association, the Category A members shall elect the first Administrative Board of the Council, who shall serve until the next elections are held in accordance with the provisions of this Article of Association.
- The first Administrative Board shall elect President and appoint 1st officers as stated in section A of clause V.4. The first Administrative Board shall take all actions and secure all approvals and clearances from the Government authorities of the Emirate of Dubai necessary for the establishment of an office of the Council.
AMENDMENT OF THE ARTICLE OF ASSOCIATION
No amendment of this Article of Association shall be made unless it is approved by vote at a General Meeting after the precise text of the amendment has been distributed to all members at least two weeks before the vote. No amendment shall be effective unless ratified by the signatures of at least 75 percent of Category A members within two months after adoption. The amendments shall be submitted to Dubai Chamber of Commerce & Industry for approval.
Voting members of the Council acting at any General Meeting, or the Administrative Board at any meeting may make, alter, supplement and repeal the By-Laws of the Council, as long as such actions are properly on the agenda of the meeting and do not conflict with this Article of Association or with the laws of Dubai and the U.A.E. All members will be promptly notified of changes in the By-Law.
SECTION A. Means of Dissolution
The Council shall not dissolve, except with the written consent of not less than 75% of the voting members.
SECTION B. After Dissolution
- In the event of the Council being dissolved, all debts and liabilities legally incurred on behalf of the Council shall be fully discharged, and the remaining assets shall be donated to any Pakistani charitable organizations as the voting members shall have decided.
- Notice of dissolution shall be given to the members by the most efficient means available.
These Articles of Association have been made in Dubai & are subject to the laws & regulations of Dubai & the UAE.
BY - LAWS
Pakistan Business Council, Dubai
1. Membership Dues
a. Membership dues shall be established from time to time by the Administrative Board, with the approval of the voting members at any General Meeting. If no dues are otherwise established, the following schedule of dues shall apply:
Category of Membership
Annual Fee ( AED)
Entitlement of vote
b. New members in any membership category who join the Pakistan Business Council in the first half of the calendar year shall pay the full amount of the annual membership dues for their respective category. New members in any membership category who join the Pakistan Business Council in the second half of the calendar year shall pay half of the amount of the annual membership dues for their respective category.
2. Membership Applications
a. Every applicant for membership shall apply by appropriate application form approved by the Administrative Board.
b. Every membership application shall state the category in which the applicant is seeking membership and the basis for qualification in that category.
c. Every membership application shall be subject to approval and acceptance by the Administrative Board, except for the applications received for the election of the 1st officers of Pakistan Business Council, which shall be approved by the Committee appointed by Dubai Chamber of Commerce.
3. Determination of Membership
(a) For the purpose of determining Category A membership, following conditions must be met:
The business must be registered in the Emirate of Dubai.
The business must be a member of Dubai Chamber of Commerce.
The business must have 49% or more share of Pakistani national or has the exclusive right to manage the business.
The Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of the aforesaid business need not necessarily have resident visa of the UAE as long as the other 3 conditions stipulated above have been met.
(b) Membership of categories other than A shall be approved by the simple majority of the Administrative Board.
4. The following memberships shall be offered on a VIP basis, without fee:
- The Executive Directors of the Department of Economic Development, Government of Dubai and of other Emirates
- Presidents of Chambers of Commerce of Dubai and of other Emirates
- Finance and Commerce Ministers of the Government of Pakistan
- Ambassador of Pakistan
- Counsel General of Pakistan
- Commercial attaché in the office of Pakistan Embassy in Abu Dhabi and Pakistan
- Consulate in Dubai
- Presidents of Chambers of Commerce of Pakistan, Karachi, Lahore and Islamabad
5. Membership Lists
Lists of members will be maintained, and may be published or distributed by the Administrative Board.
The President (with the approval of the Administrative Board) may appoint any committees of members needed, and the duties or powers of the Administrative Boardmay be delegated to such committees without the necessity of amending these By-Laws. Such committees may be dissolved by the same action.
7. Agents and Representatives
a. The Administrative Board may appoint any persons needed to assist in achieving the objectives of the Council.
b. The Administrative Board shall appoint an Executive Director to manage the day-to- affairs of the Council, and shall determine his or her duties. The salary and other
terms and conditions of employment of the Executive Director shall be fixed by the Administrative Board.
8. Scheduling of Meetings
The Annual General Meeting, all General Meetings and all meetings of the Administrative Board shall be held any day after serving appropriate notice in accordance with the Article of Association or by-laws. In the absence of such provision at least 7 days written notice shall be required to convene such meetings.
9. Minutes of Meetings
Minutes of each General Meeting and each meeting of the Administrative Board shall be recorded and made available to all members upon their written request.
10. The following amendments are made in the By-Laws:
By-Law No.10. Nomination & election Procedures for the Administrative Board.
- The Election Monitoring Committee (EMC) consisting of 3 persons shall be appointed by the Administrative Board two months prior to the date of Election and elections shall take place under the guidance of Dubai Chamber of Commerce & Industry Dubai
- EMC shall ensure smooth conduct of the election of the Administrative Board, of Pakistan Business Council.
- The EMC shall compile brief biographical information about all candidates on the Administrative Board and shall circulate this information to the members with voting rights, at least two weeks before the General Meeting scheduled to be held for the purpose of election of the Administrative Board. All candidates will be invited to submit a brief statement to be circulated by the EMC to the members with voting rights along with the aforesaid biographical information.
- Prior to the proposed General Meeting (as stated in paragraph 10.4 above), EMC shall supervise the election process, including balloting and ballot counting at the proposed General Meeting, in a fair and impartial manner, with such assistance as may be requested from the Council Office or other members, provided that no member who is a candidate for a contested position shall participate in such supervision.
- All voting shall be secret and shall be on paper ballots prepared by the EMC.
- Voting for all positions shall occur simultaneously.
The following amendments are made in the By-Laws:
By-Law No.10. Nomination & election Procedures for the Administrative Board.
- Sub Clause 8. The Seven candidates who receive the highest number of votes for Administrative Board shall be declared the winners.
- The Seven candidates who receive the highest number of votes for Administrative Board shall be declared the winners.
- Voting shall be carried out in person by those members who have voting rights. No proxies shall be allowed.
- The Council Office shall conduct itself in a fair and impartial manner in connection with the election of officers and other Board members, and Council Office staff shall not engage in campaigning, solicitation of votes, nor other electioneering.
11. Financial Year
The financial year of the Council shall be from January 1 through December 31.
12. Financial Control
The signatures either of any two members of the Administrative Board or of the Executive Director and a member of the Administrative Board shall be required on all cheques.
The Administrative Board may maintain any insurance, which is necessary for the prudent conduct of the affairs of the Council.
The Council shall indemnify all officers and members of the Administrative Board and hold them harmless against any loss or liability arising out of performance of their duties, including defense of actions, and liability arising there from, resulting from their negligence unless their actions were malicious.
15. Guest Policy
Members may invite guests to any of the meetings, programs and events after paying appropriate fees and charges.
Notwithstanding the above limitation, the Administrative Board shall have the right to invite guests they deem appropriate and beneficial for the Council's activities.
We are updating please visit soon...